Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Officious.

I was reading a transcript of a debtor's examination in an Arizona bankruptcy tangentially related to a complex business litigation matter I'm handling in California. The following exchange ensued:

"Q. You're also aware that I represent [AJ], a creditor in the bankruptcy proceeding; correct?

A. I'm aware that you represent her in a civil lawsuit in California.

Q. Okay.

A. I was not aware that you represented her here in the state of Arizona.

Q. Okay. Well, I'll represent to you that I am associated and am also representing her here in Arizona.

A. You must be licensed here, then.

Q. It's my deposition. I get to ask [the] questions, okay?"

I'm sure the examining attorney was touched by the witness's uninvited concern and admonition about the unauthorized practice of law.