Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Victory!

It's just that this victory came about 1 year and 9 months after the trial.

After putting together a string of trial victories spanning a few years, the streak was snapped in November, 2005, when my clients suffered an arguable loss.

Even though I was able to persuade the fact-finder to reject the plaintiff's claim of over half-a-million dollars, the award against my clients of a modest $75,000 still seemed like a loss.

Analyzing the award, I determined it only could have resulted from legal error. Consequently, my clients agreed to have the appellate court take a look at the case. To the clients' credit, they maintained complete confidence in my abilities.

Today, I was vindicated. After last Thursday's oral argument, the court of appeal reversed the judgment in its entirety--unanimously (3-0). The court called the plaintiff's case "a house of cards," collapsing under its own weight. Nice analogy. Feels good to be a lawyer.