Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Where's Mauricio?

As I was waiting for my probate trial to begin last week, I was treated to witnessing dueling applications for temporary restraining orders (TRO).

Two women, who evidently had been fighting over a man, named Mauricio, filed applications for TROs against each other. At one point, the judge kept asking one what specifically the other had done to threaten her.

Applicant: "She is causing me so much stress!"

Judge: "I asked for actions, what she did. Now, tell me what did she DO?"

Applicant: "She is a horrible person."

Judge: "Please do not give me characterizations. What specifically has she done that you want to stop."

Applicant: "She's making my life extremely stressful!"

Judge: "Alright. I have heard enough. I have repeatedly asked each of you to give me evidence, any evidence, that justifies my enjoining the freedom of the other.

"People generally enjoy freedom of movement in this country. I am reluctant to interfere with that freedom unless one of the statutory reasons is implicated. You have given me nothing to work with. This is just DRAMA. Stop it!

"I have one further observation. I don't know who Mauricio is. But I can tell you he is a very smart man for not coming here today."

The judge gets the Solomon award for the week.