Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Do I Need To?

During a break in trial last week, the court reporter asked me if I had ever taken a speech class.

My immediate thought was, "Do I need to?"

Her next query explained the impetus for her question.

"Have you been a professional speaker?"

What I initially thought might have been an insult turned out to be a nice compliment. She concluded the conversation by asking me if I would be interested in representing her in a case where she was being sued for north of seven figures. She identified her current attorney--a famous trial attorney--whom I will not name. I declined but thanked her for the kind words and vote of confidence. An early Christmas gift that cost nothing.