Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Self-Help Books: An Oxymoron?

I think it was George Carlin who said that "self-help book" was an oxymoron. If it's truly self-help, then why do you need a book? And, if you used a book, how can it be self-help?

In any event, when is the last time you read a "self-help" book that counseled bearing a grudge? Well, you're in for a treat. Here's one from Donald Trump's recent book, How to Get Rich (2004):

"Sometimes you have to hold a grudge". (p. 168.) Mr. Trump provided an illustration about former Governor Mario Cuomo. After supporting Mr. Cuomo for years, Mr. Trump asked for a favor (after Governor Cuomo was out of office). He was rebuffed. "My screaming was so loud that two or three people came in from adjoining offices and asked who I was screaming at. I told them it was Mario Cuomo, a total stiff, a lousy governor, and a disloyal former friend. Now whenever I see Mario at a dinner, I refuse to acknowledge him, talk to him, or even look at him." (p. 166.)

Well, at least it's unconventional advice.