Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Huh?

Yesterday, I appeared in Court in support of my client's motion to quash a summons. Essentially, this motion challenges the Court's jurisdiction over the defendant due to a lack of service or lack of sufficient "contacts" with the forum.

I'm pleased to report that the Court agreed with my position and granted the motion.

I'm mystified to report what happened next.

After hearing the ruling on the motion, opposing counsel (in her early to mid-50s) asked the Court if it would set the matter for trial.

Apparently, opposing counsel did not understand that there can be no trial where there is no jurisdiction over the defendant (a lesson the Court delivered with some scorn). Guess she missed that day in law school. Weird.