Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Ski Jacket in June.

It's June in Newport Beach, California. The start of summer, and just the time for--ski wear.

On the 19th, I approached the row of stairmasters in a local gym. Since there was only one opening, I jumped on the machine. About two minutes into the workout, I detected a odor emanating from my right.

Looking to ascertain the source, I saw a woman dressed in just what the summer season required--a ski jacket (circa 1985)--while conducting her stairmaster workout. Underneath the down jacket resided layers of colorful scarves. Of course, the legs were adorned with thick sweats.

So, I made a mental note that this sartorial display probably resulted from her desire to lose weight by losing water. However, I noticed that this person had the machine on the absolute lowest level. To compound matters, she cheated by leaning on the machine to minimize any pressure on her legs.

Here's a tip--you can lose the parka wear, if you operate the machine in a normal fashion.