Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Balancing out.

I've been fleeced. But it's all even now.

Last April, I wrote about the undeniable joy of parking in Los Angeles for free. Unfortunately, the exact same courthouse parking garage got its money back last week.

I handed the attendant a twenty expecting ten dollars change. Instead, I got a receipt and a smirk. Not the ten bucks.

So, I inquired about my change. The attendant insisted that I gave her a ten. To prove her case, she pointed to the till saying there was only one ten dollar bill resting there.

To my cynical eye, this seemed a fallacious argument since the ten spot just as logically could have been there whether I furnished a ten or twenty.

In any event, I remembered the windfall from last Spring and chuckled at the the "invisible hand" of parking garages leveling everything out.