Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Comedy at the Courthouse, Part II.

Waiting for the courtroom to open its doors, the attorneys anticipating their oral arguments were emanating a tension that was palpable.

To add to the drama, the large building in which the Second District sits was making evacuation annoucements.

Since the building had a several story atrium in the center, the acoustics were not ideal. Even through the muddled and echoing sound, I heard in addition to "evacuation" the key words, "This is only a test" interspersed with ear-drum-splitting sirens.

However, the tight-as-a-drum gentleman standing next to me, who looked like Adrien Brody of The Pianist fame, evidently did not hear the qualifier, "This is only a test." With a panic-stricken countenance, he turned to me just before bolting to the exits and asked, "Did I hear correctly, did they just say 'evacuation'"?

I replied, "They did say 'evacuation', but I guess you didn't hear the part about it being a test." He looked only mildly relieved.

I guess that meant he would actually have to make his argument.