Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Hearsay?

I recently tried a case where my worthy opponent objected in the form of a question. The "hear--" of "hearsay" would start out at one octave and the "--say" would end up a couple of octaves higher indicating a question rather than a declaration and also imperiling any glass in the vicinity.

I felt like lodging my own objection to her objections with something like, "Objection, Your Honor, counsel is guessing." I refrained. But I thought the advocacy would be more effective if the advocate presented confidence rather than reticence.

Taylor Mali has an ingenius sub-three-minute video on the phenomenon here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4.

Like you know what I'm saying?

Labels: