Law Religion Culture Review

Exploring the intersections of law, religion and culture. Copyright by Richard J. Radcliffe. All rights reserved.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Win some, lose some, Part II.

Analyzing the accountings, I observed discrepancies between what was received and what was distributed. I won't bore you with the details, but when I pressed the trustee for documentary backup, he said he couldn't produce them because his apartment was burglarized the night before. How coincidental!

So, when I cross-examined him regarding whether he called the police or had a police report, he insisted that he had. In a maneuver I hadn't seen before, the witness got off the stand--during the cross--and walked to his place at the counsel table and began fumbling through papers. The witness handed me a document as he bounded back to the witness chair.

I looked at it and said, "Let the record reflect that the witness has handed me a document entitled 'Warning' from the XYZ City Police Department. Mr. So and So, you don't have a police report--you instead received a warning from the police, true?"

At this point, I saw his attorney do the "hand-in-hands" pose with his head slowly turning from side to side.